Brexit Advice For UK Travellers

As of 1st January 2021, travel to Europe will be different than before. As one of the most popular destinations for UK travellers, it’s important to make sure you’re up to date with everything that you will need for your trip. 

1. Passport

If you have a British passport, you will need to ensure you have at least 6 months left and that your passport was issued within the last 10 years. You can check on the Government’s passport checker site to see if you need to renew or not.

2. Travel Insurance

If you have a European Health Insurance Card, this will be valid up until its expiry date. However, as always, it’s important to ensure you have comprehensive travel insurance with sufficient healthcare cover, including cover for any existing medical conditions and any activities you plan to do while you are away. 

You can find out more about the travel insurance we offer.

3. Driving Documents

If you are planning to drive in Europe, there are a few things you need to be aware of:

Driving Permits; if you have a paper licence, or your driving licence was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man you may need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some EU countries and Norway. These are available from the Post Office.

Green cards for insurance; if you are driving your own car in Europe, you will need to obtain and carry a physical Green Card for your UK insurance to be valid in the EU. These will available from your car insurance provider. It is advised to apply for this at least a month before you are due to travel.

GB Car Stickers; you will need a GB sticker for your own car when driving in the EU.

4. Travelling With Your Pet

Your pet passport will no longer be valid, you will instead need to obtain an Animal Health Certificate and your pet must be microchipped and be vaccinated for rabies. It is advised to discuss with your vet in advance to ensure you have everything in place before you travel.

5. Data Roaming

Rules for data roaming are changing which means you may be charged when using your phone abroad. You will need to check with your mobile phone provider as to what their policy entails.




If you're looking to book your next getaway, get in touch with your Personal Travel Consultant today!

Go Scoble
Talk toGo Scoble
07954 042514 Enquire now

Related offers

See all offers

A selection of our partners