Uk Government launches EHIC Replacement

The UK government has launched a replacement for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), the new card is Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC).


UK residents can apply for the GHIC, which will replace the EHIC, which will be phased out in line with their expiry dates so travellers are still able to use them when travelling to EU countries.

Both cards offer the same protection for emergency and medically necessary healthcare needs when in an EU country on a temporary stay; such as study, holiday and business travel. You only need to apply for your Ghic card when your Ehic card expires, and you can expect the process to take two weeks. 

You can apply directly via the NHS website, and there is no charge. 

The government has advised as always, to ensure you have comprehensive travel insurance when travelling within the EU and outside of it. The GHIC is not a replacement for travel insurance. 

You can find out more about our travel insurance cover below.

Looking to start planning your next getaway? Get in touch with your Personal Travel Consultant today!

Go Scoble
Talk toGo Scoble
07954 042514 Enquire now

Related offers

See all offers

A selection of our partners